Thursday 25 November 2010

Polar animals research



I had planned to have a whale in my game concept for a few weeks now and had only sketched out two different designs for it. The two designs were a humpback whale and a sperm whale; I wanted to have an extreme contrast in the food chain and size wise so wanted the biggest breed of whale as possible. (I had also gotten the two mixed up when labelling what they were, showing my amazing knowledge on whales). I realised that if I wanted these animals in my game, I’d need to look into their habitats and so forth I case I plopped a more tropical animal into the polar waters.
Whales- Humpback Whale: Grows up to 12-16 metres in length; their habitat isn’t in either on the poles, however they do feed there – Antarctica to be more specific; very fitting for my game’s objective and a likely candidate to be the character.
My other choice of whale, the sperm whale, can also grow up to 16 metres in length; however they are not native to polar waters nor do they even go to feed there, in short they have nothing to do with the Arctic or Antarctic, leaving me with the Humpback whale.

Penguins- The most obvious Penguin that I knew lived in the South Pole were the King and Emperor penguins; the problem is though is that I had already drawn out a fair few designs as this will be my main character- who is just black and white, no yellow crest around where the black meets the white, however that can be easily added if needs be. I looked into different kinds of penguins that stick to a plain black and white colour scheme as I want the monochromatic feel like ‘The Godfather’ or any kind of mafia inspired theme. I looked up virtually all varieties of penguin only to find one that fit the bill spot on; the Adílíe Penguin, a smaller breed of penguin from the King and Emperor; it’s coat is all black and white and most importantly is that it lives in the south pole.

The Polar Bear really didn’t need any research of breeds and habitat as it’s pretty obvious that this POLAR ursine lives in the polar regions.

No comments:

Post a Comment